Friday, April 22, 2011

Honolulu Diva Half Marathon 2011














April 17, 2011 was the diva series half marathon in Honolulu, Hawaii. I trained REALLY hard for months before this race. Then about 3 weeks before the race my heel pain was very intense and I wasn't able to put pressure on my foot. The day before we left for Hawaii I went to the Acupuncture. It was amazing!! He completly took the pain away. I knew that my heel pain wasn't healed, but he tried to help so I could at least finish the race. My goal was to finish in 1:50, BUT....my body said otherwise. I finished in 2:07 and was so disappointed. It was still the fastest I had finished a half marathon, but I was expecting so much more. I didn't pace myself like I usually do in the beginning. I thought that we were at sea level, and that would carry me through. Well, after the first 7 miles at a 7:40 pace I hit a wall. Add that to the fact that is was THE MOST HUMID day they had yet this year, not enough water intake, a sideache after 2 miles which turned into shoulder and neck cramp for the rest of the race, a screw through my shoe and had to stop to take my shoe off, my ipod breaking at mile 8 and the fact that I was just plain overdressed, it's a miracle that I finished. I started to get tears in my eyes around mile 10 when I knew my goal time wasn't met and almost stopped completely. But, I decided to dig a little deeper and cross the finish line with pride and show my 2 cheerleaders that you don't ever give up!!! I'm glad I did. They were so proud of me. I have more pictures to come of after the race. Overall, it was still an amazing experience to run a race in Hawaii and great learning experience. I take what I can from it, learn and move on to the next race which luckily is only a 10K and then another half in August. Just keep on keeping on. :)



1 comment:

Brooke Blackham said...

I LOVE all your Hawaii pics! Too bad we missed each other in the airport by an hour and a half...LAME! good job on your race, you're my inspiration! Can't wait for OUR next one :)